[NCUC-DISCUSS] Issue briefs

farzaneh badii farzaneh.badii at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 16:00:13 CET 2024

Hello NCUC,

I am your representative on NCSG Executive Committee. That Committee is in
charge of doing mostly administrative work but since I do some policy on
the side I thought I send you some updates on what is going on at ICANN (by
no means this is comprehensive because I am not involved with the policy
committee, so if others have anything to add, please do.

1. For the next ICANN meeting, NCUC has an "Issue Forum". The topic and
list of speakers etc will be shared with you soon.
2. If you remember we did a DNS abuse engagement with the registries and
registrars a few weeks ago. We continue to do that and hopefully at NCSG
level have a meeting with the CPH during PR. Our message is pretty clear:
DNS abuse definition should be technical, it should not lead to ICANN
becoming a content regulator, the discussions and processes should not
trump the multistakeholder model.
3. ICANN recently published some stats on access to RDRS, the triage system
that different stakeholders can use to request access to domain name
registrants and registrars. The number of requests at the moment shows how
much hype was created surrounding the importance of access and how little
stakeholders need access to domain name registrants data. Anyway, NCSG has
organized a meeting about that you can attend.
4. Next round of new gtld is upon us. There is an implementation group
called SPRINT. We don't have any volunteers to follow the issue. If you
want to engage with ICANN it's a good way to monitor the issue and report
to us.
5. I am on a group about reviewing our board appointment procedure that has
to be done with our housemate, the commercial stakeholder group. Will
report on that too.

Hope this is helpful.

Farzaneh