[NCUC-DISCUSS] ICANN started/Day one debrief/ what is at stake

farzaneh badii farzaneh.badii at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 15:04:17 CET 2023

Dear NCUC,

I am at ICANN meeting this week and want to report back as much as
possible.
ICANN started today. Lets see what is happening on a beautiful Sunday in
Cancun in cold conference rooms:

*TODAY we will have the NCUC membership session! at 3 PM local time.*

Other meetings:

The transfer (of domain names) policy group is meeting: what is at stake
for us? security and privacy issues can be raised during transfer and the
issue of ownership. we raised some other issues such as sanctions etc that
were not tabled to be discussed. But there are subtle issues that transfer
policy discusses that affect the noncommercials and worth paying attention
to.

IDN EPDP: IDNs are internationalized Domains in local languages. I never
thought we even needed an EPDP for this so I skip this one, there are other
reps that can talk to you about it if interested.

NIS2: There is a European law that might affect domain name registration
which we need to monitor. I suggest joining sessions about that.

AND

Implementation of WHOIS disclosure system: This was very relevant to NCUC
because we care about privacy and worked hard to create a policy for
disclosing private sensitive data of domain name registrants system. They
have finally come up with an implementation plan worth monitoring and
reviewing.

Will be back with more updates.

Farzaneh