[NCUC-DISCUSS] Candidate Statement - NCUC EC AP - Elsa Saade

Elsa S elsa.saade at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 11:03:20 CEST 2017

Dear all,

Please find my Candidate Statement below, for your kind attention.

*Elsa Saade - Asia Pacific (Female)*

*Current Human Rights Officer at Gulf Center for Human Rights, coordinating
Digital Rights Program*

*My voice since the very start of my journey at ICANN, as a newcomer and
fellow at ICANN 54, hasn’t changed in terms of its standards. I had always
been a vocal human rights defender and advocate for digital rights. During
ICANN 59 I knew exactly how to voice those thoughts in relation to the
multi-stakeholder model and the constant need for fast pace decision making
thanks to the many exchanges I had within NCUC specifically, amongst
others. I acknowledge the learning curve and experience that every NCUC
member goes through and that gives me proper insights on what should be
provided.*

*In parallel I engaged in all sorts of GNSO sessions and several CCWG
sessions on IG and Accountability as well as attended GAC meetings
virtually while at NCSG, NCUC and GNSO sessions. I understood and
materialized how both affect each other and how the multidisciplinary eagle
view is important to strategic policy development. However, I still stand
by my values which go hand in hand with NCUC standards at ICANN and would
be more than honored to represent the Asia Pacific region as an EC member.
Right now, especially given the developments on GDPR and the increasing
call for privacy, I can’t find any other more interesting and necessary
time to engage in the community and really affect policy in a way that
would take our perspective from the region I represent and work with, and
the work we do and other vocal digital rights
defenders/researchers/non-commercial enthusiast in the region do, into
consideration. *

*In parallel to policy, I acknowledge the important role NCUC plays and the
importance of coordination at the EC level. I believe I can serve this role
properly and build a solid ground during my term, keeping in mind former EC
members’ experiences and our common vision for NCUC going forward.*

*My strategy if I were to be elected as the Asia Pacific NCUC Rep*

I aim to work collegially within the EC, be a team player and/or a leader
where need be, by making constructive proposals, and supporting the team
and chair in their tasks. I will surely be responsive to any EC task as per
the charter demands and most importantly will support members in policy
participation and lead by example.

If I will be elected into the EC, I will make sure to incorporate past
experiences of former EC members, building upon their work, and continue
their efforts to activate the voices and participation of members and
prospective members in NCUC discussions and policy developments with a
focus on the region I will be representing and in coordination with other
EC members from other regions whereby the non-commercial user’s benefit
lies and is taken into consideration.

Accordingly, it is important to:

1.     Engage current Asian Pacific members in more internal conversations
to exchange thoughts and make a stronger approach in terms of representing
the views and interests of noncommercial users through ICANN policy
processes. Supporting members’ participation in policy development.

2.     Expand outreach to new members through the different already
existing mechanisms, and with the help of collective creative work, within
the EC and NCUC as well as my networks, be able to recruit as many new
members as possible.

3.     Follow up on urgent matters that need urgent response from members

4.     Keep an eye out for any event where NCUC could participate in the
Asia Pacific region with the aim of creating general awareness and
increasing interest of potential future NCUC members.

5.     Make sure that when an ICANN meeting happens in the region, members
from AP would be able to outreach to non-members with solid information to
share, encouraging their interest and raising the bar of knowledge when it
pertains to DNS policy and ICANN mechanisms. Also make sure that there can
be funding for those who aren’t capable of funding themselves to be able to
make it, keeping in mind gender diversity and AP representation.

6.     Increase the importance of highlighting members and their efforts at
ICANN by potentially mapping ICANN journeys and collecting testimonies of
vibrant members, thus having an archive of progress which could eventually
be motivating for recruiting new members and increasing the participation
of current members.

*As a whole, *having worked in the field on the regional level since 2013,
I’ve gotten first hand experience in a vastly encompassing civil society
where laws have hampered the development of human rights standards when it
comes to IG related issues.

Being introduced to ICANN’s mechanisms, I found even more constrains when
it comes to the smallest technical detail and I became more committed to
instigating change at the level where policy actually gets developed and
actually makes a difference. M*y journey with ICANN only started in ICANN
54 as a fellow, after I had been in the Internet Governance field for a
while. Back then, I directly found my vocation to be at NCUC as its mission
is to recruit new people who can uphold its values and push for them for
the sake of the non-commercial user at the policy level as well as at
conversation levels within ICANN. *

*If I get elected onto this EC, I will make sure to guide and lead the way
I should, with the aim of solidifying what previous AP EC members did and
developing it further to amplify the voice of NCUC with the help of new
recruited members and old members with whom I will work closely. I do
understand the tasks of the EC as stated in NCUC bylaws in term of
administrative work, operating procedures and membership management, also
being an enabler for all NCUC activities and carrying a supporting role for
our membership*

*I am very committed to having a more inclusive process for those whom NCUC
shelters within its constituency, and I would be happy to contribute to its
development and achievements. I commit to be transparent about my
participation, votes, and discussions and will consult our membership
regularly.*

*Time Commitment*

I will be available to carry my duties as need be and more. I commit to
respond to questions and requests from the NCUC membership

Elsa Saade
Human Rights Officer
Gulf Center for Human Rights
Beirut, Lebanon