[NCUC-DISCUSS] Privacy issues within Fellowship Program

thomascovenant thomascovenant at thomascovenant.org
Fri Nov 17 17:47:22 CET 2017

Dear all,

in regard to my previous message to NCUC list - Fellowship Program has
released a statement today revoking the previous practice and addressing
privacy violation issue with those involved. The full statement can be
found below.

I understand the Program is currently receiving help reviewing
existing practices and will make the necessary changes to avoid a
similar situation from happening again in the future.
That is very excellent news.

I would like to thank NCUC for continuous privacy issue support and
advice in approaching this matter.

Grateful thanks go to both CDPO Daniel Halloran and Herb Waye, ICANN
Ombudsman for addressing this issue in a prompt positive manner
resulting in solid privacy improvements.

Solidarity,

thomas

--
* * *
Friendly geek in Amsterdam, happy FSFE and EFF member

Dear Fellows,

This note is to address the concerns that have been raised regarding the
privacy of your personal data.

First, let me reassure you that the ICANN organization is committed to
meeting the highest standards of data protection and data privacy, as
outlined in our privacy policy.

Regarding the specific incident, as you may recall, an email was
recently shared with an attachment containing your personal data. We
acknowledge that this practice can no longer continue and have taken the
appropriate steps to ensure it does not happen again in the future, as
currently we are reviewing our processes.

For clarity, kindly note that the individuals included in the BCC line
of that note were the 63 of you receiving this email, who were funded
through the Program, 2 Tribal Ambassadors and 2 Honorary Fellows. No
other individuals were in receipt of that information. This was done for
clarifications to send out hard copies of your certificates of
participation. In future we have decided to send out only soft versions
to your respective e-mails.

I hope this helps address the concerns that have been raised.

Best

Siranush

Siranush Vardanyan

Fellowship Program Manager