[NCUC-DISCUSS] US Senate Testimony

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 18:56:34 CET 2017

Hi

> On Jan 19, 2017, at 12:23, James Gannon <james at cyberinvasion.net> wrote:
>
> I'll note that Sen Brian Schatz also asked a direct question on the IANA transition and the response from the nominee was :
>
> "My understanding is  there is no real alternative on the table to the ICANN situation, so for the moment there is nothing else to consider, I am not aware that there is a realistic way to do anything about it”

It is certainly tempting to read these teas leaves in line with our tastes. But as we are dealing with the most unpredictable US policy environment in modern history, it’s maybe worth noting that a) saying he’s not currently aware of something doesn’t preclude someone subsequently trying to make him aware, and cycles of energy being spent in consequence; and b) the statement doesn’t preclude spending time debating unrealistic ways.

Bill