[NCUC-DISCUSS] [Important] NCUC Bylaws Final Version

avri doria avri at acm.org
Tue Nov 22 11:04:57 CET 2016

Hi,

I think one of the things that contributes to the habit of continuous
campaigning is that one can change their vote right up until the last
minute by voting again.  I think this is a good thing and do not mind
the continuous campaigning.  It is the only time some of our members
become visible.

avri

On 21-Nov-16 11:30, matthew shears wrote:
> I agree with the suggestion by Nadira - and should as Tapani says be
> given serious consideration by the new EC.
>

> On 21/11/2016 15:59, Tapani Tarvainen wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 03:43:43PM +0200, Nadira Alaraj
>> (nadira.araj at gmail.com) wrote:
>>
>>> Usually and in any voting process, the support or self promotion of
>>> candidates stops before the distribution of the ballots.
>> That is not by any means universal. In particular when voting is
>> conducted by mail or otherwise takes a long time, notably also during
>> postal or other advance voting in most elections I know of,
>> campaigning keeps going on all the way until voting stops.
>>
>> Whether or not that is a good thing is another question, and we might
>> well decide that campaigning should stop after voting starts in NCUC
>> elections. But so far we haven't had such a rule and it is obviously
>> too late to make one for this election.
>>
>> But good that you brought it up, the new EC would be well advised
>> to consider it and make the rules clear before next election.

---