[NCUC-DISCUSS] Declaración Conjunta de la Sociedad Civil a la Organización de Estados Americanos (OEA)

Ayden Férdeline icann at ferdeline.com
Thu Mar 31 21:45:36 CEST 2016

Hi Renata,
Thanks for sharing this. Fundación Karisma does some great work, I liked their
recent #AlertaMachitroll campaign too. As to this statement, I strongly support
it and and am glad to see so many regional civil society bodies coming on board
to lend their signature. It is unfortunate that any of the recommendations must
even be said - how have we gotten to a stage where nation-states do not feel the
need to consider neither 'necessity' nor 'proportionality' when developing
digital governance policies? Why wouldn't the same human rights that exist
offline apply online too? Anyway, I like the path forward which this document
recommends.
I'm not familiar with the background of this document, though, so am trying to
work out what happens next in terms of getting the OAS and its member states to
commit to following them (I fully appreciate this is not going to happen, but
surely we should try..). The statements mentions an event - was this SSIG or
something else? Has the signed statement now been received by the OAS
Secretariat? If so did they commit to tabling it at a meeting or anything? Or is
this simply a piece of correspondence they can ignore if they and their members
so desire…
Best wishes,
Ayden