[NCUC-DISCUSS] Global Connect Initiative?

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Sun Sep 27 09:17:32 CEST 2015

Hi

> On Sep 26, 2015, at 5:36 PM, Mueller, Milton L <milton.mueller at pubpolicy.gatech.edu> wrote:
>
> I would oppose signing it.

anticipated :-)

> My opposition comes partly from it being outside of NCUC’s remit as a GNSO constituency

It’d obviously be easier to assess the extent of overlap if we had the USG text, but they’re holding it for now. My guess from the DC civil society folks who started this is that there’s some, hence my question.

> and partly from the fact that there are parts of the statement I don’t agree with. Even those parts I do agree with I think raise false expectations for no purpose other than the political posturing benefit of the proposers. Did I miss something or how many trillions of dollars are being allocated to this program in order to move African internet penetration up from 16% to, um, 30%? I see a lot of feelgood statements about how the world needs more internet and not a single concrete proposal that moves us toward that goal, and  I just have an inherent tendency to resist being drawn into these kinds of PR things.

Skepticism can have its advantages.  Personally I don’t think we know enough to be dismissive ex ante about what will actually be done, but fair point.

Good to hear more thoughts.

Cheers

Bill