[NCUC-DISCUSS] Increasing GAC influence?

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Tue Aug 19 15:10:59 CEST 2014

Hi,

I read the article. I think he exaggerates the danger.

I tend to think it wont make much difference because the board pretty
much works on consensus these days, holding off on voes until rough
consensus is reached.  I.e they already work to a higher standard.

I argue pretty much everywhere for an equal footing standard. The Board
needs to be the one balancing out the various voices in the decsions
while remaining accountable to all of the SOAC groupings.

The thing that bothers me the most on this is that this leaves the other
ACs in a subordinate position, i.e still not on an equal footing.

As for us fighting it, I am not in favor of spending a lot of energy on
this.   In the GNSO the voice of business predominates (3SG : 1SG), i.e.
we have a minority position. How much energy do we wish to put into
fighting for the supremacy of pro-commercial decision making?

avri