[NCUC-DISCUSS] tld registry criminally liable for copyright violations?

Tapani Tarvainen ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info
Thu May 16 17:47:54 CEST 2013

I know .se is in principle of no concern to GNSO, and Sweden isn't
the world, but I suspect this is still interesting to NCUCers:

"In the eyes of the prosecutor, .SE’s catalogue function has become
some form of accomplice to criminal activity"

https://www.iis.se/english/news/forcing-domain-names-off-the-internet-does-not-help/

A bit stronger (and perhaps not so neutral) viewpoint:

"If secondary liability is established at the DNS level, not to
mention criminal secondary liability, I predict the Internet community
will drop DNS as a backbone protocol like a bad habit, and replace it
with something different that is resilient to lawsuits and
prosecutors."

http://falkvinge.net/2013/05/16/prosecutor-hints-that-root-domain-registry-is-criminally-liable-for-copyright-monopoly-infringements-on-the-pirate-bay/

--
Tapani Tarvainen