[NCUC-DISCUSS] NCUC Appointments for 2014

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Sat Dec 21 15:57:45 CET 2013

Hi

One of the first tasks the newly elected EC will need to take care of is filling key appointments to various external positions.  As these require a fair amount of ICANN experience and knowledge in order to effectively advance NCUC’s interest, in most cases (save the first) it seems they’ve historically been filled through targeted outreach to members known to be ready to be ‘plug and play’.   Moreover, some of the positions have incumbents in them who may wish to serve another term.

Nevertheless, there’s no reason we can’t do an open call for expressions of interest in order to broaden engagement and the pool of names the EC draws on.   So if anyone is interested in being considered for any of the following, or has suggestions of others who’d be interested, please send me a note offline.  Of course, if people prefer to discuss options here too, fine, but it’s good to be sensitive to previously expressed concerns about mail volume...

We really need to fill these slots in the next two weeks, earlier if possible (especially the NomCom one), so if you are interested or have suggestions please be in touch ASAP.

As this will anyway be a longish message, it’s probably better if I don’t write a book here on each of the positions.  So I’ll stick to the basic info, and if anyone has any questions they can be addressed in follow-up discussion.

1 NCUC Rep. to the ICANN Nominating Committee
http://www.icann.org/en/groups/nomcom

The NomCom appoints people to positions in the ICANN board, the GNSO Council, and other parts of the org.  This is perhaps the most time consuming of the slots, but it’s also a very interesting and important one, and it includes supported travel to the meetings.  It is also our most pressing appointment; Rafik Dammak was our Nomcom rep but of course was recently elected NCSG Chair and needs to hand these responsibilities off to someone ASAP.  Moreover, the 2014 Nomcom already began its work at the Buenos Aires meeting, so whomever we appoint will need to dive in, merge into the stream and get going quickly.    We previously discussed NomCom when reappointing Rafik in June; for reference see the thread from http://lists.ncuc.org/pipermail/ncuc-discuss/2013-June/015094.html.  Our bylaws specify that the EC is to appoint the rep by majority vote, with at least four members voting.

2 NCUC Reps. to the NCSG Executive Committee
https://community.icann.org/display/gnsononcomstake/Committees-2013
http://gnso.icann.org/en/about/stakeholders-constituencies/ncsg

The EC does admin type stuff, particularly handling new member applications.  Until the recent NCSG election, Robin Gross was NCSG Chair and Milton Mueller and Rafik were our two reps.   As Rafik was switching to Chair at the end of the BA meeting and we needed continuity and representation, the outgoing EC appointed Robin to Rafik’s old slot to serve alongside Milton.

2 NCUC Reps. to the NCSG Policy Committee
https://community.icann.org/display/gnsononcomstake/Committees-2013

The PC is the vehicle for our policy engagement in the GNSO Council, alongside NPOC in NCSG.  In 2013 our reps were Avri Doria and Nuno Garcia.  Avri was recently elected to the GNSO Council so is already on the PC in another capacity.

You may also note at the above website, there’s also supposed to be a NCSG Financial Committee with a NCUC rep, but as far as I know it’s been dormant, as funds are raised at the constituency level instead.  Should it ever be needed, presumably our Treasurer should be the rep to it.

1 NCUC Rep. to the Public Interest Registry
 http://pir.org/about-us/get-to-know-us/advisory-council/

PIR manages .org etc. and is a long time financial and political supporter of NCUC.  We appoint a rep to its .org Advisory Council; Robin is currently in this position as well.    I understand this has not involved a lot of coordination of late, and indeed PIR’s website still calls us by our old name, the Non-Commercial Domain Name Holders Constituency (NCDNHC), but as with some other slots/functions we might want to reboot a bit.  Our bylaws specify that the EC is to appoint the rep by majority vote, with at least four members voting.

2 NCUC Reps. to the GNSO’s Standing Committee on Improvements
https://community.icann.org/display/gnsosci/4.+Members

Ed Morris kindly wrote this paragraph:  The SCI is a fairly unique committee in that it is 1) a standing committee, 2) run on a full consensus model and 3) deals with procedural and structural, rather than substantive, issues. As an example, an issue under current consideration is a proposal to allow for e-mail voting within the GNSO. The NCUC has two representative positions, both a primary and an alternate slot.  In 2013 we had Amr and (now on Council) and Nuno as an alternate.  NCUC appointees would be expected to attend SCI calls (usually monthly) and participate in mailing list deliberations. Only one appointee, primary or alternate, may take part in each consensus call. Coordination between both appointees, and with the other noncommercial representatives, is an essential component of the positions.

Intra-EC

Finally and parenthetically, the EC will also need to make some internal appointments. For ex, our bylaws say we are to have a Secretary Treasurer who must be approved by a majority vote of the EC with at least three members voting.  Milton’s always been the Treasurer because he has NCUC’s bank account, but he’s not been doing the ‘Secretary’ piece and it could be helpful to separate and fill it.  We also need coordinators for the four EC/member functional Teams http://www.ncuc.org/participate/working-teams and the Bylaws Revision Committee http://www.ncuc.org/bylaws-revision-committee/

Thanks,

Bill

William J. Drake
International Fellow & Lecturer