[NCUC-DISCUSS] Server bans

Timothe Litt litt at acm.org
Tue Aug 13 13:17:12 CEST 2013

> https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/08/google-fiber-continues-awful-isp-tradition-banning-servers

Yes it's obnoxious.  But it's a money play, not a freedom issue. All of
the other vendors (I don't know about Google) offer 'business' accounts
that permit servers - and static IP addresses.  And freedom from port
blocking.  You don't have to be a business to get one, you just have to
be willing (able) to pay - they charge more for the same data rates.
And more for a static IP address (arguably a way to ration a scarce
resource for IPv4 - but they seem to be on track to be stingy with IPv6
too.)

If you go to their websites and look for (Small) Business services, you
can see what's available.

The theory behind this isn't a great conspiracy to restrict freedom.
It's that businesses tend to want servers more than individuals,
businesses have more money - and this is a technical resource that
allows price discrimination.   Also,  the typical consumer doesn't use
the bandwidth they pay for (except in bursts); servers tend to use
more.  (See also, 'bandwidth caps' - another obnoxious practice designed
to extract more money from consumers.  And 'mail limits' that preclude
'bulk mail'  thru ISP servers at levels that a small mailing list
exceeds - allegedly anti-spam, but actually forcing use of one's own
servers - or a commercial mailing service.  And asymmetric speeds...)

It's essentially the same theory that allows phone companies to charge
more for 'business' service than for 'residential' -

I'm not saying that the basis of he theory is universally true. But
that's what it is.

I'm all for the notion that this is a bad idea; individuals should be
able to fully use the network without paying business rates.  I also
recognize that it's increasingly difficult to make the distinction -
many people have internet-based hobbies that are indistinguishable from
small businesses run from homes.  And we certainly don't want the ISPs
inspecting the bits to judge.  (Does the fact that I use SSL to protect
passwords/data from snooping make me a real business?  No.  But how
could they tell?)

I have 'business' service at my residence since I need static IP
addresses for several of the technologies that I use for my family
network.   I had to fight with the ISP to get their terms of service to
be non-self-contradictory - they cloned residential TOS to setup 'small
business service'.  For example, they sold multiple static IP addresses,
but the TOS said using more than one was a violation.  And I couldn't
get all the issues resolved.

It would be great if someone wants to take on ISP Terms of Service.  As
I've noted before with respect to registrar/registrant TOS, they are
opaque.  They are subject to change at the whim of the provider.  They
are heavily skewed against the consumer.  And if you need 'business
class' service, the presumption that you are a business makes it
difficult to use consumer protection laws when things go askew.  (The
law presumes that a business-'business' contract was negotiated by
equals, so most consumer protection laws don't apply.  And the ISP will
argue that you bought the service as a 'business'.)  Then there are the
mandatory arbitration and choice of law provisions.  If I were to have
an issue with my service that went that far, I'd have to go to a court
over a thousand miles from my home.  Despite the fact that my ISP has a
fleet of attorneys within 10 miles...  I can't afford to stay in a hotel
for a month or more of negotiations/court dates - the ISP has no such
problem.  I could go on, but you get the idea.

So by all means, get upset about restrictive, anti-consumer Terms of
Service.  But recognize that it's purely a commercial dispute. The basis
is not (as far as I can tell) an attempt to suppress freedom.  It's a
pure capitalist play to segment the market to maximize revenue and to
rig contract terms so as to maximize vendor flexibility and minimize
expenses.

Arguing about it on the basis of 'freedom' is about as likely to succeed
as arguing that Centrex / multi-line VoIP terminations should be
available for home telephone service.  (OK, they should - Asterisk for
home ought to be usable -- but again, it's an economic issue.)

We're 'free' to pay for service that allows servers.   It may also be
possible to buy bandwidth from these providers and setup an ISP with
more reasonable terms -- if one can come up with a business model that
supports it.  At least with DSL which has been under the telco
umbrella.  The latest trick that the cable/fiber ISPs have used in their
contracts with municipalities (to bring service to town) is to require
the municipality to agree that internet service is not a
telecommunications service - even if it shares the same transmission
medium.  And thus the service is exempt from regulation by the
municipality.  And so it becomes a 'free (or is that 'fee'?) market' vs.
'regulated utility' dispute.  The arguments on both sides don't bear
repeating here.

The bottom line is that ISP TOS and pricing are a real mess - that real
pro-consumer legal minds (I'm not an attorney, I just read contracts)
could have a career fighting.

What that battle has to do with ICANN/NCUC/NCSG is not at all clear.

Timothe Litt
ACM Distinguished Engineer
if any, on the matters discussed.