New ICANN CEO Fadi Chehade to speak at NCUC's policy conference 12 October in Toronto

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Fri Sep 28 20:13:17 CEST 2012

Dear All:

ICANN's new CEO Fadi Chehade will deliver welcoming remarks at NCUC's
policy conference on 12 October in Toronto.  "ICANN & Internet
Governance: Security and Freedom in a Connected World" is the title
of the conference and cyber-security expert Ron Deibert of The
Citizen Lab will deliver the morning keynote address.

Here is a link to NCUC's event:
   http://www.amiando.com/NCUC-ICANN45

Any help you can provide to promote the event and raise its
visibility would be greatly appreciated.

If you are planning to come to Toronto, I hope you will register to
attend.  If you can't come to Toronto, we will have remote
participation available via Adobe Connect.

Also, below is a message from the new CEO to the GNSO (sent to the
GNSO Chair for distribution).

Best,
Robin

Début du message réexpédié :

 > De : Fadi Chehade <fadi.chehade at xxxxxxxxx>
 > Objet : Update on ICANN Developments
 > Date : 27 septembre 2012 23:49:35 HAEC
 > À : Stephane Van Gelder <stephane.vangelder at xxxxxxxxx>
 > Cc : David Olive <david.olive at xxxxxxxxx>, Sally Costerton
 > <sally.costerton at xxxxxxxxx>
 >
 > Dear Stéphane:
 >
 > In preparation for Toronto, I want to keep you apprised of
management and
 > organizational developments at ICANN, and to make an important
introduction
 > of a new member of our team.  These changes have resulted from my
“listening
 > and learning” phase, and I have shared them to date with ICANN
staff and the
 > Board.  I will be sharing more at the opening session at the ICANN
meeting,
 > but want to provide just a few highlights for you as well:
 >
 > THE TEAM
 >
 > First, as you may already know, I officially assumed the position of
 > President andChief Executive Officer on September 14, two weeks
ahead of my
 > planned start date.  I have also appointed new members to the ICANN
 > Leadership team, to complement our existing deep experience with
fresh
 > perspectives from international executives.  The two new members
of the team
 > are Tarek Kamel and Sally Costerton.  Tarek, Egypt’s former
Communications
 > Minister, who already leads the development of ICANN’s Africa
strategy, will
 > assume the role of Senior Advisor for Government Affairs, leading
all aspects
 > of ICANN’s Government Engagement.  I have asked Sally, who was
most recently
 > CEO of Hill & Knowlton Public Relations for Europe, the Middle
East and
 > Africa, to lead in a new position responsible for Stakeholder
Engagement, and
 > she willalso oversee the Communications function.   I am using
this email to
 > introduce Sally to you as well, in hopes that you will be in
contact soon.

 > Both Sally and Tarek will be based in ICANN's European region and
will report
 > directly to me. Their goal is to strengthen ICANN's international
engagement
 > at all levels.
 >
 > As for additional members of the leadership team:
 >
 > ·       Akram Atallah's role will be expanded to include oversight of
 > Registry and Registrar Services, the new generic Top-Level Domain
(gTLD)
 > program, Security and other important activities.
 > ·       Kurt Pritz, Senior Vice President, will take on a new role
as Chief
 > of Strategy.
 > ·       John Jeffrey, General Counsel and Secretary of the ICANN
Board, will
 > continue in that role.
 > ·       David Olive, Vice President of Policy, will also continue
in his
 > current role.
 >
 > Finally, in what I feel is a significant organizational
development, Maguy
 > Serad, Senior Director of Contractual Compliance, has been
promoted to Vice
 > President, with her department reporting directly to me.
 >
 > THE ORGANIZATION
 >
 > In order to make ICANN truly international, and to make sure that
these
 > changes put stakeholders at the very heart of our organization, we
will
 > reconfigureICANN as a global matrix organization, bringing regionally
 > dedicated and functional staff together to collaborate as teams
serving the
 > interests of our community, and enhancing engagement.  We will
also be
 > shifting our centers of gravity, relocating leadership of key
 > managementfunctions outside the United States.
 >
 > THE PRIORITIES
 >
 > Taking our cue from the Strategic Plan developed by the Community
and the
 > Board, we have begun work on an execution plan to provide greater
visibility,
 > management efficiency and direction to the work we do.   I will
provide more
 > details in Toronto on how our execution will be directed toward a
set of
 > objectives:
 >
 > Delivering Operations Excellence,
 > Evolving and Strengthening the Multi-Stakeholder Model,
 > Establishing and Refining ICANN’s Clarity of Purpose, and
 > Ushering in ICANN’s true Internationalization
 >
 > Sally Costerton can provide more details on these plans, but, like
me, she
 > has been in a “listening and learning phase” of her own.  I hope
the two of
 > you will have a chance to speak soon.
 >
 > Our work to date has been possible thanks to the open dialogue and
 > information sharing you to which you have been kind enough to
contribute.   I
 > hope that we can continue to build upon this collaborative
foundation, and I
 > look forward to hearing your views in Toronto.
 >
 > Sincerely,
 >
 > Fadi Chehadé

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org