ICANN Ad Hoc Group on FY2014 Budget process - update

William Drake william.drake at UZH.CH
Fri Nov 30 09:24:21 CET 2012

Hi

On Nov 29, 2012, at 9:16 PM, Alain Berranger wrote:

> Thks Maria,
>
> Your report seems complete to me.
>
> Eduardo Monge, NPOC's Acting Treasurer was also on the call for the first 45 minutes and Bill Drake also participated.

Robin was on too.

> Personally, I would add that the big change, in my opinion is the introduction of the CEO Management Portfolio Vision, a kind of overarching budget nomenclature that will list all existing and new budget items under one of the CEO's 4 priorities, going by memory and my own words I recall, in no special order: internationalization, clarity of ICANN mission, improving operations and improving the MS model.

Not entirely clear what the practical effect will be as these seem elastic.

> To further elaborate on Maria's note, I have noted that the community of usually 8-12 people that the ICANN budget team bounces ideas on is made up of volunteers from the various groups and is pretty informal, with some community reps always attending all meetings and calls while other communities seem to "appoint" different reps at different times. Marilyn Cade, the BC Chair suggested a more formal working group to enhance more consultation, accountability and transparence. I supported it but fully realize it is not always possible for one or two community reps to always be present..
>
> Maria, that's all I can add, maybe Eduardo and Bill can add their two-cents?

Formalizing the process seems like a good idea.  Taking 45 minutes to establish this obvious point, less so.

Bill