ICANN Ombudsman Case System - reconsideration requested

Kathy Kleiman kathy at KATHYKLEIMAN.COM
Fri Nov 30 21:50:27 CET 2012

Hi Maria,
I am sorry to share but I don't agree with the Complaint filed below. We
were included in the meeting, and we did participate in it. We had the
ability to bring in more people, but Wendy had a flight conflict, and
Konstantinos had a NY session at the same time. There was certainly an
imbalance of people, but our concerns were well-represented. We were
regularly recognized to speak.

If the session had been as closed and imbalanced as the complaint
describes, then we would not have been in the room (for 3 1/2 of the 4
days, I was on the phone) and the results of the IPC/BC proposals would
have been adopted. I have to tell you that they (IPC/BC) are very, very
unhappy that their lead proposal -- for blocking of their trademark
across all gTLDs -- was itself blocked.

If the issue were privacy or freedom of expression, we would be fighting
for it. Here the issue is TM protection, and the concerns on the other
side are sincere. I get it, and Fadi tried to listen -- not in a closed
room, but in a room with me and Robin, Alan and Evan (ALAC), Registrars
and Registries. It's so much better than the old days of disappearing
back into the closed ICANN Board Room and listening to Joe Sims, of
Jones Day law firm, tell ICANN what to do.

The contracts for the Trademark Clearinghouse needed to be signed, the
system specifications needed to be finalized. The IPC/BC presented a
bunch of unreasonable things, and most were recognized as unreasonable
and pushed back.  I think Fadi Chehade, as our new CEO, felt the need to
listen to the concerns, and I am so, so, so glad that he did it when we
were in the room too.

I would recommend that the complaint be withdrawn because I think it
will have the unintended effect of pushing things into the back room
again. Fadi worked very hard to ensure that our concerns were heard and
voiced and shared.

Best,
Kathy (Kleiman)

: