a concern regarding the ncuc event program

William Drake william.drake at GRADUATEINSTITUTE.CH
Sun Mar 6 18:47:44 CET 2011

Hi

Thanks for the information, Tracy.  Ana's very good, but she represents an industrialized country government, one that has been fairly vocal in opposing the sort of proposals being advanced by key developing countries for a greater governmental and intergovernmental role.  What I and I've learned others had in mind was a bit different.

As I said previously, I've been trying to get a developing country government representative for several weeks. I tried to recruit Olga Cavalli, who formally represented Argentina in GAC and is now a GNSO nomcom appointee, but it turned out her flight gets in too late.  I tried to get Alice Munyua from the Kenyan government and GAC co-chair, but heard from her on Friday that she can't make it.  I've now got an invitation out to Mme Ndéye Maimouna Diop Diagne of Senegal, but have yet to hear back.  If that doesn't work, I thought about trying Katim or Gonzalo from the Board, or else trying to get Alex to change his mind (nothing wrong with having all civil society & technical community panelists, I guess).  It's not so easy when you move from general desires to who's actually coming, will be there on time, is interested, and is prone to frequently read and rapidly reply to email.

To be honest, I think it's a little awkward to be discussing the potential fit and prospects of speaker options on a public list; some people would not necessarily prefer to learn they were a discussion topic, particularly if they're not ultimately invited.  If there are folks who'd like to provide more input or be kept abreast of efforts to fill this panel slot, it might be better to take it off line.  I'm traveling from tomorrow but will have access when not in transit.

Best,

Bill