[ncdnhc-discuss] Community Communications to US Department of Commerce on ICANN Evolution and Reform

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Tue Sep 3 20:29:09 CEST 2002

At 11:08 AM 9/3/2002 -0700, Barbara Simons wrote:
>My questions were addressed to Alejandro,

Barbara,

1.      If you were asking a private question, why did you ask it in public?

         Perhaps because you were really making a public statement, rather
than asking a serious question?

         Gosh.  What an idea.  Somebody might be trying to make a public
point, by appearing to ask an individual a question!

         And, by the way, none of this matters, because...

2.      My question was addressed to you and did not rely on your question
to Alejandro.

         So what difference does it make who you addressed your question to?

         Could you be trying to distract folks from the core of my
question?  I'm just asking.

>Since Karl's Congressional testimony was critical of ICANN, I thought that a
>good counterexample to Michael's claim would be to find that ICANN had
>posted Karl's testimony.

So, let's see...

1.      You constructed an artificial test

2.      You then imposed it by fiat

3.      You did not even tell ICANN that the publication of this one item
would be used as a basis for making such a sweeping assessment of ICANN
performance.

4.      Thehe task being evaluated has nothing at all to do with ICANN's
primary mission.

Did it occur to you that such a test was not only artificial, but
insulting, or at least silly?

Did it occur to you that the real effect of "asking" such a question was
just to stir the pot of controversy and not really seek anything constructive?

I'm just asking, Barbara, since I know you intend serious consideration of
ICANN issues and would not want anyone to think that you were being
frivolous, unprofessional and emotional.

d/