[ncdnhc-discuss] Community Communications to US Department of Commerce on ICANN Evolution and Reform

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Tue Sep 3 18:43:57 CEST 2002

Norbert,

At 06:26 PM 9/3/2002 +0200, Norbert Klein wrote:
>For me, this is not at all a kind of opera, but for me this relates to a
>public concern, and how the nominated leadership of a public institution with
>worldwide responsibilities is acting and suppressing valuable - in my opinion
>valuable - alternative positions

Your use of the word "suppressing" is an example of the reason ICANN is
treated in an unrealistic fashion by critics.  That fashion is so far from
a serious, simple consideration of the facts.  It usually is highlighted by
this sort of strong, emotional language.  And it usually follows a very
stodgy script.  Hence the use of the term "opera".

In other words, Norbert, the word "suppressing" is typical of the hyperbole
that is used, and it is factually wrong.

The word "suppressed" means that there was explicit consideration not to
publish and that not publishing prevents access to the information.  You do
not know whether the first part is true and you certainly DO know that the
second is not.  In fact, the information was inherently publish.

A decision to publish something -- anything -- is inherently
difficult.  When someone publishes things, do we refer to all of the things
they chose NOT to publish -- and all of the things they MIGHT have
considered, but did not even notice or pay attention to -- as
"suppressed".  (Hint:  the answer is no.)

Processes involving ICANN are complex. Its real task is extremely narrow,
pragmatic, operational and essential.  We need to respect these facts,
rather than project abstract idealism on to ICANN and hold it accountable
for some larger mission that it does not have.

>I thought that the way which the White Paper had indicated as a roadmap was

If you compare the White Paper to the Green Paper, what you mostly see is
that Magaziner decided to retreat from his mass of micro-management
decisions and, instead, defer everything to the new organization.

In other words, the REAL lesson of the White Paper is that the issues
surrounding ICANN are not trivial to dictate or decide.  Rather than
promoting idealism, it demonstrates the difficulties surrounding ICANN.

The rest of us would do well to heed that lesson.

d/