[ncdnhc-discuss] Shanghai, NCDNHC and Names Council

Chun Eung Hwi ehchun at peacenet.or.kr
Tue Oct 29 20:24:15 CET 2002

Dear NCDNHC members,

Thank you! Kathy.

She sketched up the most part of our constituency meeting, but I feel to
complement some missing part. Regarding some questions who we are and who
we will be in ICANN II, I remember some important comments made. Stefan
classified non-commercials into two categories such as end users vs
institutional users and he put NCDNHC into institutional users. He asked
what is NCDNHC's interest and how it would seek its own interest in ICANN.
Chun pointed out the problem of NCDNHC created as ETC constituency after
all other interest groups had been defined. Kathy reminded that in
drafting our charter, we defined ourselves as one value position group
seeking free speech or something like non-commercials' interest. Adam
Peake also emphasized the necessity to identify more clearly what our own
mission is as non-commercials.  I think Harold Feld has already addressed
one direction or strategy of our constituency in ICANN II through his
resolution draft #4 - the disagregation of non-commercial user voices
although some people explicitly opposed his proposal.

Unfortunately, due to some mixed up schedule and the limited number of
attendees, we could not discuss about draft-resolutions. Then, today in
public forum, Stuart Lynn, CEO of ICANN will announce the new gTLD
addition plan. Throughout talks with other NC members, I am thinking to
address the uniform process of new gTLD addition as agenda topic for next
NC meeting. If possible, Milton Mueller's draft resolution could be our
proposal document.

Yesterday, in General Assembly and Names Council meeting, two interim
reports of Transfer and Whois task forces were reported. In General
Assembly, Kathy addressed privacy issue criticizing the whois interim
report. In Names Council meeting, Chun made comments on Whois interim
report as follows.

1.	Interim report itself acknowledged that the survey is
statistically invalid because it didn't apply sampling method.
Nevertheless, this survey outcome is very frequently refered to and quoted
for the sake of supporting and justifying many recommendations. This is
one of the biggest and very important flaws this report has. As such, the
outcome is not fully reflecting general users' concerns particularly in
privacy protection issues.
2.	As a whole, interim report reflects only commercial interest
groups' concerns rather than consumers, general users' concerns. Some
recommendations have no ground at all. And all recommendations are
highlighting only one positive side. It doesn't write pros and cons of
each recommendations. Therefore, most statements should be rewritten in a
more balanced way considering general users' concerns
3.	This report is seeking two goals - one is to integrate all gTLD
whois databases. The other one is to integrate gTLDs' whois and ccTLDs'
whois databases. However, the best public policy or strategy to protect
privacy is to fragmentize databases. Moreover, each ccTLDs have their own
legal regulation basis. So, although ccTLD representative participated in
the TF, he/she could not represent all ccTLD community. And now in this
transition situation, ccTLD community is trying to organize themselves
relatively independent group from ICANN. Therefore, the consultation with
ccTLD community is necessary before final report is to be published.

And I promised to submit NCDNHC's officially documented comment on Whois
interim report. I am very regretful that I should have made my comments
without more enough discussions within our constituency, but it was
inescapable in this situation. I hope that we could make our consensus
comment document through this discussion list. The Whois interim report is
here - http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/20021015.NCWhoisTF-interim-report.html

Regards,

Chun Eung Hwi
General Secretary, PeaceNet | phone:     (+82) 2- 2166-2216
Seoul Yangchun P.O.Box 81   |   pcs:     (+82) 019-259-2667
Seoul, 158-600, Korea       | eMail:   ehchun at peacenet.or.kr