[ncdnhc-discuss] No proxy system for NCDNHC.

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Thu Oct 24 23:50:58 CEST 2002

>>> "Harold J. Feld" <hfeld at mediaaccess.org> 10/24/02 02:17PM >>>
>I wish it worked this way.  The problem is that those who
>have an interest in undermining the legitimacey of our actions
>at a meeting simply challenge the reps as not acting in accordance
>with the consensus of the consticuency.

Bah.
The only people I see doing this regularly are people
who themselves have no legitimacy in the constituency,
e.g. Crocker. I thought we had all learned to ignore
irrelevant noise. Certainly, our Adcom members should be
expected to have some backbone. Anything you do is going
to be criticized in this environment. If the critics can't sway
votes at Adcom election time, who cares what they say?

Moreover, a proxy system that really governs outcomes
requires high levels of verification and procedural
integrity. I don't think we can deliver that yet.
As I noted before proxies push the process of
gathering votes out of public view. Perhaps if a
procedure for assigning proxies was carefully worked
out it would be ok, but if not, watch out.

Let me note also that suggestions that a proxy
system can be implemented AT THIS COMING MEETING
without any charter changes or formal adoption of
the method is completely inappropriate, and must not
be taken seriously.

--MM