[ncdnhc-discuss] Internet is global=we need central planning

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Fri May 3 20:03:41 CEST 2002

James,

At 01:50 PM 5/3/2002 -0400, James Love wrote:
>I think we can summarize Dave Crocker's strategy here as:
>
>1. Unless you can spell out every single detail one could possibly imagine,
>nothing you say should be considered ready for debate.

I do realize just how painful it is to move from general concept to
concrete detail for technical details.  Perhaps that difference in our
experience explains why I have so much respect for the requirement to
provide meaningful detail.  And an understanding of the difference between
meaninful detail and "every single detail one could possibly imagine."

>I also think it's time to abandon this strategy.....    Clearly if one
>wanted to decentralize all sorts of decision making on TLDs, it could be
>done,

Clearly?

So far, we have not been provided with any real-world examples of
comparable operations and we have not been provided with any meaningful
detail for the current proposal.

>More interesting for me would be to see different models for
>decentralization, and examine the benefits and problems that each system
>would offer.

Yes.  That would be very helpful.

d/