[ncdnhc-discuss] ICANN Reform: Role of ITU

Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law froomkin at law.miami.edu
Thu May 2 19:23:29 CEST 2002

I think the anology breaks down at the end.

ICANN does not assign IP#s.  It (arguably) delegates the assignments to
RIRs. (Arguably, since they pre-date it and ICANN has almost no numbers to
give, it doesn't actually do anything except collect fees for preventing
too many new RIRs from springing up and competing with the incumbents.)

And, last I heard, ICANN does not assign domain names.  It delegates the
assignments to registries.

One could say that ICANN assigns gTLDs.  This should end. It should
delegate the power to make assignments something like it does for IP#s.