[ncdnhc-discuss] Committee on ICANN Evolution and Reform Seeks PublicSubmissions

Alejandro Pisanty - DGSCA y FQ, UNAM apisan at servidor.unam.mx
Thu Mar 28 20:32:04 CET 2002

Hi!

it seems easier to throw tantrums than to get to work. Barbara is telling
us to separate both things and providing at least one motivation to get to
work, in what seems a negative reaction to Milton's call to boycott the
process.

Fortunately we have opened avenues so that the members of this
constituency can take part in the debate individually, in groups, or
with the constituency as a whole.

The very least one would expect is that members of the constituency wished
to enlighten our NC reps, and that they would be coming to the
constituency to discuss their own views as the debate in the Names Council
develops.

The Board did not ignore ALSC, .org, the Names Council, etc., as Milton
claims. We built responsibly upon each of them.

There is a primary goal we should not forget: establishing an ICANN that
can credibly obtain transfer of the control of the root. We are fighting
very serious trends which seem at odds with the NCDNHC: a pure-government
solution (most probably in an intergovernmental, treaty organization), and
a pure trade association, based in a single country to further
aggravation.

If we do not establish a workable, effective organization, governed by
principles and cognizant of interests (instead of the other way around),
we're gone. If we do not provide credible, workable input from the
non-commercial world, two things will (not may; will) happen:

1. other legitimate non-commercial representations, such as academic
institutions, will step up to the plate.

2. business interests will prevail.

This is a call to look at the broad picture, first, and to provide
concrete, workable input to the E&R committee.

As a framework for analysis I think our constituency could provide very
concretely two things at this stage:

1. a list of stakeholders in the ICANN process and what is at stake for
each of them.

2. input on what should and should not be ICANN's mission. All the better
if each item is discussed within the framework of mission creep. Issues
like protection of the freeedom of speech, and the protection of consumer
interests, are foremost in recent discussions.

Since similar discussions are taking place right now in the Names Council,
I count on Harold, Erick, and Eung Hwi to enliven this debate.

Yours,

Alejandro Pisanty

     Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
Director General de Servicios de Computo Academico
UNAM, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico
Av. Universidad 3000, 04510 Mexico DF Mexico
Tel. (+52-55) 5622-8541, 5622-8542 Fax 5550-8405
http://www.dgsca.unam.mx
---->> Unete a ISOC Mexico, www.isoc.org
=====>>> Participa en ICANN, www.icann.org