[ncdnhc-discuss] Board Positions on .ORG; Answers from V.Cerf -- full text

James Love love at cptech.org
Sat Mar 23 14:50:12 CET 2002

I would like to offer a different way to frame the issue than one of
regulating what someone does on a .org site.  By addressing the issue of
what trademark claims one can make, there will be a self selection on .org.
One can allow completely open registration on .org (the NC and ICANN board
recommendation and certainly what every registrar wants),  and not permit
any challenges to the use of a domain for any reason.   At the same time,
one can provide some guidance to the UDRP panels as to what constitutes
confusion under the existing UDRP guidelines.  In particular, one make it
clear that a non-commercial use on .org is not considered confusion with a
business use that may have a trademark involving the same domain name
string.     This would make the NC suggestion of "marketing" .org for
non-commercial use have some content and structure, and it would have the
costs of this policy borne by those who seek to take .org domains away.

If one has strong ideological reasons to oppose any differentiation of uses
of TLDs, then this will not be well received, and there may be some other
pragmatic or strategic concerns here, that have not been explained.    But I
have offered this to address concerns that the NC recommendation for .org is
too vague in some areas, and to address our own concersn about NGO's being
knocked off .org domains by businesses who have similiar trademarks (as has
already happened in .net).

   Jamie