[ncdnhc-discuss] Models for PPPs

James Love love at cptech.org
Mon Mar 18 04:31:51 CET 2002

Harold, in response to your post, I would ask Alejandro to please explain
why the board is focusing on a plan that would have governments directly
select board members, rather than a model where ICANN simply negotiated a
contract for services with governments?   I work with a lot of
public/private partnerships in the field of pharmaceuticals.  The IPPPH
(http://www.ippph.org) lists data on some 78 PPPs in the health area.
There are a million different models for governance.   The typical issue for
the PPP  is how to manage some mixed funding model to solve some under
funded public health problem.   Usually the government hopes the private
sector will come up  with the cash, while the private sector hopes the
government will come up with the cash.  Some are created by governments,
some are created by industry, and some by foundations or NGOs.  I was in NYC
during the ICANN meeting in Accra, for an MSF meeting to create a new PPP,
called the DNDi, a non-profit corporation to develop drugs for neglected
disesases.

It just seems to me that getting money from governments does not need to
entail having governments choose members of the board of directors.   Why
has the ICANN board not explored different relationships with governments,
such as having contracts for services?  You would seem to be opening up a
can of worms by having (some) governments put people directly on the ICANN
board.

  Jamie