[ncdnhc-discuss] Emergency Resolution

Manon Ress mress at essential.org
Thu Mar 7 23:27:21 CET 2002

I would like to thank Harold for the *timely* resolution.

One comment:  the language could be stronger. For example instead of
expressing grave reservations as to the plan to eliminate directly
elected public representatives, maybe we should say that we are
"opposed" to it?

Also, there might be people who, like me, think that ICANN should cut
its budget and live within its means (and mission).  We should then ask
the BoD to get rid of the staff not willing to do that.

We are strongly opposed to the proposal to have governement
representation on the board to replace users representatives.  Maybe
it's time to be clear about this?  I look forward to hearing what other
members of the NCDNHC think.

Manon

"Harold J. Feld" wrote:

> I recognize that the time for resolutions for the Accra meeting has
> closed, but the Stuart proposal warrants special concern.  I would
> therefore propose the following emergency resolution for consideration
> in Accra.
>
> WHEREAS the NCDNHC has recently again reaffirmed its support for the
> original ICANN commitment to nine At Large directors elected by the
> Internet community as a whole;
>
> The NCDNHC expresses grave reservations as to the plan proposed by ICANN
> President Stuart Lynn on February 24, 2002.  This Plan would eliminate
> any directly elected public representation.
>
> While NCDNHC recognizes the valuable role played by governments in
> representing the interests of their citizens, the Internet community has
> traditionally operated through bottom-up processes that develop
> consensus directly from the community, rather than the traditional
> representation of government.  ICANN should continue in this tradition.
>  Accordingly, ICANN should not substitute government representation for
> direct representation elected by the user community.
>
> Harold Feld

Manon Anne Ress
mress at essential.org, voice: 1.202.387.8030