[ncdnhc-discuss] What about 5 (or more) ICANNs?

Marc Schneiders marc at fuchsia.bijt.net
Wed Mar 6 00:02:57 CET 2002

On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, at 12:05 [=GMT-0500], James Love wrote:

> Things could move fast, and we
> would not need to spend a fortune to have a global ICANN governance
> structure.  The regional ICANNs would be more in touch with regional values.

The 5 regions do not exist, if they are something like the 5 regions for
At Large 2000. People in many of these regions cannot even talk to each
other, except if they know English. This is even true for Europe. I got an
email today from a webdesign company in Spain, in Spanish, telling me they
had no English.

Don't expect much from Europe, Asia, Africa as regions. I think many
North-Americans are somewhat blind for the fact that outside of their own
continent there are not really any others that are a cultural unity of
some sort.