[ncdnhc-discuss] Structure TF.

Jefsey Morfin jefsey at wanadoo.fr
Fri Jan 18 15:23:05 CET 2002

Dear Raul,
I am afraid there is no attachment. Could you please provide the URL of
Philps text? Or the text itself in plain ASCII?

As far as your question is concerned, David's patch seems to be a good
complex solution to address Joe Sims' complexification of a simple thing.
On the paper it is actually creating an Individual Domain Name Holder
constituency electing its own 6 BoD Members. This would be a brilliant
short-cut to the global problem provided the ICANN dropped the IANA functions.

Let understand it. ICANN is both a tiny element into the management of the
Internet through the IANA functions and a protector of the gTLD Registrar
industry. The problem is:
- ICANN uses its IANA privileges to protect that industry, to the detriment
of all the others
- to be in a position to do it, ICANN makes believe the IANA is far more
important than it really is, unbalancing the ccTLDs and blocking the
internet in its limited features.

So we have to chose. Either the ICANN is the shell for the IANA functions
and the @large are every Internet participant who want to participate, the
professional problems of the Registrars being addressed somewhere else. Or
the ICANN is the protector or the gTLDs and the @large are their customers
but the IANA functions must go and be managed elsewhere.

If the ICANN is the protector of the unnecessary registrar industry the
unbalance of the ALSC into the DNSO is acceptable. If the ICANN is the IANA
function manager and wants to continue its mission creep, the IPv6 matter
is far more complex and commercially and internationally important, and the
ALSC implication in the ASO more important. The Standalone User System
architecture is network wise, business wise and economically wise far more
important than IPv6 and makes the ALSC involvement into the PSO still far
more important. That the DNSO has not perceived this need is normal because
it is DNS oriented. The Staff too as they ignore everything about Internet
and believe data are exchanged on legal yellow pad sheets. That the IETF
does not warn the BoD is only a result of the sclerosis of some IETF people
and the feelings of the others about ICANN. Never the less here is the
situation. Permitting the ALSC to take an unbalanced importance into the
DNSO only and not in ASO and PSO is a very poor move in the interest of the
ICANN.

We have to realize that the current situation cannot and will not last for
a long. The recent sunrise scandals, the TLD management, the ICANN budget,
the lack of observed lack of utility of the ICANN, the lack of any
achievement in the interest of the users, the blockade of network
innovation, the risks of instability, .org and plan B, the Verisign
attitudes, Whois, and now WLS, etc. etc. will make Govs and market to
by-pass the ICANN. This has begun.

Jefsey