[ncdnhc-discuss] Resolution on .org and protection ofexisting domain name holders

Derek Conant dconant at dnsga.org
Fri Feb 8 21:11:17 CET 2002

The problem I see here that is not being addressed or answered is that
if .ORG is assigned to a new operator, this probably means that ICANN
Accredited Registrars who currently sponsor .ORG will probably be
required to pay additional registry application, qualification and
license fees to the new operator.  Or else, the ICANN Accredited
Registrar may no longer sponsor the .ORG TLD.

If additional registry application, qualification and license fees are
required to sponsor .ORG, how many of the 80+ ICANN Accredited
Registrars will pay (or are able to pay) the additional registry
application, qualification and license fees to the new operator?

It is established that users of other TLDs (.COM, .NET and .ORG) can
transfer their domain names between ICANN Accredited Registrars who are
licensed by the registry to sponsor the specific TLD being transferred.
This is the mechanism that currently protects other domain name holders
from unreasonable fees for domain name registration.

A concern is that what if only 5 of the ICANN Accredited Registrars are
able to apply, qualify and are licensed by the new operator to sponsor
the .ORG TLD.  5 ICANN Accredited Registrars is not 80 Registrars and
this example could effectively eliminate the registrar transfer policy
and mechanism that currently protects .ORG domain name holders from
unreasonable fees for domain name registration.

Derek Conant
DNSGA President and Chairman