[ga] Re: [ncdnhc-discuss] Reply comments to the gTLD Comments on .org

Jefsey Morfin jefsey at wanadoo.fr
Sat Feb 2 15:05:39 CET 2002

On 23:25 01/02/02, Marc Schneiders said:
>I fully support Milton's position. The registry market is a regulated
>market. In such a market, you cannot apply free market principles
>completely. The regulation diminishes competition by definition. It has to
>counter that effect as well to avoid the evils of monopolies and cartels.
>(This is even true when you start deregulating, which ICANN does not
>really seem to be doing very well so far.) New players on the market have
>to get a chance against the (former) monopolist or cartel.
>
>Given the revenue of current registrations in ORG (slightly under 3
>million), I doubt any new company would have to charge higher registry
>fees than the $6 VeriSign now takes.

Dear Marc,
only a business plan, with traffic and cost simulation could tell. Also the
kind of service provided and the evolution of the offer as I doubt that we
will accept for a long the uncertainty which develops in the domain name area.

The problem is that Verisign has the figures, carries the weight of
experience and the ICANN BoD lacks the competences to forge its own point
of view. Since the ICANN wants to rule the world, it could be of help if
they hired a programmer, an operation manager, a sales, a marketing person
and a finance director, at least as home experts. Would you ask a lawyer
because he is a lawyer to drive a bus?

Jefsey