[ncdnhc-discuss] Names Council agenda item request: discussion of wholesale price for names

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Wed Aug 21 14:22:04 CEST 2002

With the ORG process near complete I think it's time the wholesale
price for NET and COM was reviewed. I would like our name council
representatives to put discussion of the TLD wholesale price on the
agenda for the names council meeting on Sept 12 (if still the date?),
please. I know anyone can suggest agenda items, but I'm hoping there
will be support for this suggestion from the constituency:  is there?

It's been about 3 years since the wholesale price was established,
and given that many of the bids for ORG came in with prices lower
than the current wholesale price (some significantly lower for bulk),
I think there is clear indication that the current price is too high.
At least enough indication to warrant an review.

I expect any such review would be beyond the competency of the names
council to handle (not least, economists needed), but it is an
inquiry that I think the council or its successor should shape. It
may also be helpful for the ERC's names policy development group to
consider whether the processes, etc., it's recommending could handle
job like this, or wether a President's committee (or some new
hi-level policy development body that acts a little more quickly than
the usual pace of the President's committees we known in the past)
might be required.

Thanks,

Adam

Adam Peake