[ncdnhc-discuss] Re: Comment on Latest NC draft - decentralization of DNSO functions

James Love james.love at cptech.org
Tue Apr 23 17:20:42 CEST 2002

Well, this is for Vint and Marilyn,

  I agree that the Internet is global.   Does it necessarily follow that
ICANN has to make all the decisions on the globe?   Sure, there are *some*
things that ICANN could claim it should do at a global level, and we are
quite willing to go with this.  For example, if ICANN really wants to ensure
that every domain name registratrar has an effective alternative dispute
resolution policy in place with regard to trade mark disputes, one can at
least understand that..  Or, if ICANN wants to set some minimum consumer
protections for all global registrars, well, maybe this would be a good
thing (although hard to say why it needs to act in the case of the ccTLDs).
But does ICANN have to be the global gatekeeper on the creation of new TLDs?
Not really.  This ends up being a bottleneck, as witnessed by the overly
complex and expensive process for applying for new TLDs, which involves
expensive (rent seeking by ICANN) lotteries just to apply, and no real
explanation why some win and some lose.     I would agree that ICANN could
usefully coorindate this function, to ensure that basic stuff is taken care
of, such as coorindation of uniquen TLD strings, or some minimum trademark
and consumer protection issues.  But that shouldn't be used to control
innovation and competition, as it is now.    If ICANN wants us to trust it
with power, it should be able to trust others with some power too.  If the
European, Commission, or a regional DNSO for Europe wants to approve a new
hundred new TLDs, or even France, why stand in the way?  Just saying it "has
to be global" isn't enough.   Clearly ICANN is trying to make some things
centralized that do not need to be centralized.   ICANN told the travel
industry to change the name of .air to .aero.  ICANN would not allow the
World Health Organization to create .health, or the International
Confederation of Free Trade Unions to create .union. It has no real
experitise to make these decisions, and no real to control  these decisions.
If you decentralized the authority to create a new TLD, but ICANN could
exert whatever minimum global regulation is needed on uniqueness, trademarks
and consumer protection, then ICANN  would have less power, but also a lot
less problems and politics.

Bill Gates might say that because the Internet is global, everyone should
use his software.  Real Networks could make the same claim.  IMO, we need
global action on spam.  Does that mean that ICANN should be involved in
these and other decisions?     The Internet did not become what it is today
because of top down control.

  Jamie