[ncdnhc-discuss] Questions about ".edu"

Dany Vandromme vandrome at renater.fr
Tue Apr 9 07:12:02 CEST 2002

Jefsey Morfin wrote:

> I am asked some urgent questions about .edu by a European University
> organization.
>
> 1. who has the right to get an ".edu" user name?
>      Some names seems to have been alocated to Canadian and Bristish
> Univesities?
-
Not only
see www.uninet.edu
-

> 2. If a non-US can apply what is the procedure? If not what is the rationale?
-
I think that netsol is still managing the registry, but it may have been
delegated to educause. To be checked, since there was not much
advertisement about it.
-
-

> 3. I feel I recall that .edu has been redelegated recently?
-
see above
-
>      I did not see any public posting on this?
>      I feel I recall having read about a budget of $ 300.000 / year?
>      Also that Mike Roberts was involved in the management?
-
Right
-
>      Am I totally confused?
-
Not totally, but lack of public notice doesn't help to have a clear view
about this.
-

> Thank you for your urgent comments (we meet tomorrow noon). jfc

Dany VANDROMME                    |  Directeur du GIP RENATER

                Reseau National de Telecommunications
         pour la Technologie, l'Enseignement et la Recherche

                                  |  ENSAM
Tel   :  +33 (0)1 53 94 20 30     |  151 Boulevard de l'Hopital
Fax   :  +33 (0)1 53 94 20 31     |  75013 Paris
E-mail: Dany.Vandromme at renater.fr |  FRANCE