[ncdnhc-discuss] Resolution on ORG Divestiture

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Tue Oct 16 18:47:07 CEST 2001

Milton,

At 07:35 AM 10/16/2001, Milton Mueller wrote:
>This is a common error that people make.
>The idea that $1 or 2 million in surplus revenues from ORG
>could have a significant impact on the global "digital divide"
>is wrong and shows a lack of understanding of
>technology diffusion patterns.

The fact that a few million dollars is inadequate has nothing to do with
"technology diffusion".  It has to do with being too little money for such
a large problem.

Technology diffusion is about the criteria and rate of adoption (that is,
the USE) of technology by increasing numbers of people.

>Anupam, who do you think supports the activities of the ISP constituency,

members of the ISP constituency.

>  the Registrar constituency

members of the Registrar constituency

>, the gTLD Registry constituency,

members of the gTLD Registry.

Perhaps you notice a pattern here, Milton?  (However, NOT a technology
diffusion pattern.)

>etc? Is that "parochial and self-interested?"

if you intended to use both those words correctly, then yes, that is
exactly what it is.  (American Heritage Dictionary, on
"parochial":  "Narrowly restricted in scope or outlook".)

>If it is, we need more of it in this part of the
>domain name world.

indeed, you are entirely correct, no matter how unintentionally.

>It is a very bad idea for a registry
>that has the RESPONSIBILITY to serve 3 million
>regstrants to dilute its mission and focus by taking
>on problems unrelated to domain names and ICANN.

here, at least, we agree entirely.

>The amount of money required to support noncommercial
>participation in ICANN policy making, on the other hand,
>is quite small (less than $50,000) and has direct and
>immediate benefits. This is not a "parochial" interest,

Indeed, it IS quite a small sum of money.  Hence it should be very easy for
the constituency to fund itself through normal, reasonable means, rather
than by increasing the burden of people interested in a .org name.

d/