[ncdnhc-discuss] Re: [ga] Comments from JPNIC and JPRS

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Wed Oct 10 08:15:04 CEST 2001

It really is painful to be forced to acknowledge actual facts.  Nonetheless
I comment the effort to all of us:

At 08:50 PM 10/9/2001, Marc Schneiders wrote:
>On Tue, 9 Oct 2001, at 19:28 [=GMT-0700], Dave Crocker wrote:
>
> > The fact that an independent registry started "before ICANN" is not an
> > indication of good intention.
>
>Nor is it an indication of bad intent, is it?

Not surprisingly, you read my note very selectively.  Your homework
assignment is to re-read it more carefully and more completely.

>In any case, it does seem a matter of 'decency' to accomodate those that
>existed before you.

Independent work deserves to be treated as independent.

Folks who create DNS top-level domains away from IANA/ICANN root
administrative processes deserve to be literally ignored by those processes.

They have no relevance to the IANA/ICANN root at all.  None.

>Vint Cerf knew that, which is why we have now .info and not .web under
>Afilias.

Inventing convenient interpretations of someone's behavior is, well,
convenient, and usually incorrect.  Invention is all that you have done.

Vint did not do what you have stated, nor did his position stem from the
reason you assert.

> > Such activities were just as inappropriate then, as they are now.
>
>Why? Some of these activities were actively encouraged by IANA.

To put it politely, you are wrong.  Very wrong.  In fact, completely wrong.

> > The DNS root has always been subject to central administration.
>
>Losely.

It is always frustrating to have people make such an assertion about IANA,
given how entirely incorrect they are.

Do not mistake friendly, personal processes, with processes that are "loose".

In other words, Marc, as with all of the other assertions in your note, you
are entirely wrong.

> > ICANN is > merely the most recent group providing oversight.
>
>You mean, we can change this? Give it to others?

Sure.  In fact I encourage you to devote all your efforts to such an activity.

> > Those attempting to gain market share, independent of the IANA/ICANN root,
> > have always been creating a problem, especially for anyone who uses them.
>
>If you are referring to new.net, you may have a point, if for slightly
>different reasons than the one you seem to hint at. Could it be
>possible that others than new.net, both in the past as well as today,
>are not so much "attempting to gain market share" as providing a
>service to the public?

People who seek to break a working system, through a path that cannot
*ever* be reconciled, are not providing "a service to the public".

They are providing a service to themselves, feeding their egos or their
pocket books or the like, but they are doing nothing that benefits the rest
of the world.

d/