[ncdnhc-discuss] Legitimacy [was: TLDs not created by ICANN: the purposes ofraising concerns]

Joop Teernstra terastra at terabytz.co.nz
Tue Oct 9 01:12:41 CEST 2001

At 21:04 7/10/01 -0700, Dave Crocker wrote:
>At 07:52 PM 10/7/2001, Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law wrote:
>>On Sun, 7 Oct 2001, Nilda Vany Martinez Grajales wrote:
>> > 1. Legitimacy:  I personally consider that ICANN has legitmacy.  It is
>> > my believe that all those organizations that applies for membership in
>> > ICANN constituencies is because they believe that ICANN is legimit.  If
>> > not...why to be a member of a constituency?
>>
>>Fear of harmful actions taken by the illegitimate?
>

>Yes, Michael.  It is notable just how much some ICANN participants look
>more like ICANN adversaries.
>
>Working to destroy from within is very helpful.

That is the unkind interpretation.
ICANN has the power to  turn its honest critics into friends.

Speaking for myself and others that I have come to know in this process:
trying to work within, presenting constructive proposals again and again,
until it becomes 100% clear that it is a useless effort.
Bending over backwards to accommodate, until the snapping point is reached.

By doing this, gathering firsthand knowledge on what ICANN really is.
This can only be done by participating.

--Joop
P.S. Legitimacy grows out of the barrel of an MoU.