[ncdnhc-discuss] Membership Status of Silicon Valley Public Access Link

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Tue Oct 30 18:41:32 CET 2001

Dear Mr. Mazliach:
We appreciate your organization's membership in the
Noncommercial Domain Name Holders' Constituency
(NCDNHC) of the Internet Corporation for Assigned
Names and Numbers (ICANN)

Currently your representative in NCDNHC is Mr.
David Crocker, an emeritus Board member of SVPA.
In order to avoid a conflict of interest, we would
request that your organization appoint a new
representative.

Mr. Crocker is listed as a member of the Neustar
team which just successfully won the award
for management of the .us top-level domain.
In making domain name policy, there may be a
conflict of interest between Neustar's interests
as a commercial registry, and those of
noncommercial domain name holders. Of
course, as a bona fide noncommcerical
organization SVPA is still eligible.

I'm sure you can agree that it would be
inappropriate for someone with such a large
stake in a commercial domain name
service provider to represent noncommercial
interests in the domain name policy making
process.

This problem has arisen with a few other
organizations before, and our solution has
been to make sure that there are different
organizational representatives.

Regards,
Dr. Milton Mueller,
Syracuse University