[ncdnhc-discuss] Limit email sending....

Kent Crispin kent at songbird.com
Tue Nov 27 22:13:22 CET 2001

On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 02:24:43PM -0500, Milton Mueller wrote:
> Another detail that needs attention is whether
> adcom members should be exempt from the
> requirement. My first inclination was that they
> should not be, the rule should apply to all equally.
> However, it also seems odd that if someone asks
> me or another Adcom member a question
> (e.g., what is the status of the UDRP Task Force?)
> I would be unable to answer for a day because
> I might have already sent two messages. However,
> this is a fine tuning detail I could live with either
> approach.

There is a simple rule that addresses this, I think: single level
replies are not counted.  That is, if someone posts a question, and
someone else posts a reply, the reply is not counted as part of the 2
messages.  If, however, it is a reply to a reply, or a reply to a reply
to a reply, etc, it is counted.

As you note, it is sometimes the case where a single person will receive
multiple questions; it is reasonable to let them reply to each one.
Indeed, they could wait a day, and reply to all of them in a single
message, but that is tedious.  I don't think this should only be
restricted to adcom -- anyone may be in a position of having useful
knowledge that others may want to know.

--
Kent Crispin                               "Be good, and you will be
kent at songbird.com                           lonesome." -- Mark Twain