[ncdnhc-discuss] Membership Status of Silicon ValleyPublicAccess Link

Kent Crispin kent at songbird.com
Thu Nov 1 06:12:11 CET 2001

On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 11:36:26AM -0500, Milton Mueller wrote:
> FYI, attached is a .jpg file showing the Neustar
> "Executive Oversight Committee."  The picture
> is taken from Neustar's own application materials.
>
> As you can see, Mr. Crocker is a "Senior Advisor"
> on a committee reporting directly to Neustar's
> Chairman and CEO, and which is composed of
> six Senior Vice Presidents, including the VP of
> External Affairs, Finance, Operations, and
> General Counsel.
>
> This is not a marginal connection to the
> commercial registry. This is involvement
> at the highest decision-making levels.
> There is of course nothing wrong with
> this involvement, but I cannot see how
> Mr. Crocker can pretend to be unaffected
> by this direct conflict of interest.

The members of the NCC are organizations, not individuals.  There is no
language in the NCC charter (such as it is) or the ICANN bylaws that say
anything at all about who an organization may select as its
representative.  And contrary to Mueller's claim, there is absolutely no
precedent in the history of the NCC that restricts who a member
organization may select as its representative -- Bill Semich has served
as a representative of the Internet Users Society -- Niue for a long
time, and last posted on this list on Oct 4.

Non-profit organizations often depend on volunteers that have jobs
working for commercial companies.  If a member organization feels that
such a person is their best representative, then they have every right
to designate that person.

--
Kent Crispin                               "Be good, and you will be
kent at songbird.com                           lonesome." -- Mark Twain