[ncdnhc-discuss] About Marketing Practices in .ORG

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Fri Dec 28 17:06:52 CET 2001

At 01:52 AM 12/28/2001 -0800, Kent Crispin wrote:
>On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 12:48:12AM -0800, Dave Crocker wrote:
> > You are not suggesting restrictions on REGISTRANTS in .org.
>
>The model I am suggesting is that there be a charter for .org; that
>charter fundamentally states that a new .org domain should nor be used
>to support a primarily commercial enterprise;

As a beginning point, I'll comment that I think the issue is NOT whether
the model you are describing is reasonable.  It sounds entirely reasonable
and enforceable.

The problems are with history, cost, risk and fairness, for THIS particular
TLD.

In terms of history, it simply seems highly inappropriate to take a TLD
that has had essentially no registration policy for more than 10 years and
then to impose one with seriously different criteria for
registration.  Absent a massively compelling problem that needs fixing,
policy changes of this degree should be imposed from the start of the TLD;
ie, as formative precepts, not as changes.

In terms of cost, I worry that enforcing any policy about who may register
(or who may keep a registration) will raise costs.  You are suggesting that
the enforcement be at dispute time, rather than earlier, and yes, that
could keep the costs down.

In terms of risk, the area of dispute resolution has now established a
lengthy and clear history of being quite difficult.  My guess is that
Restricted TLDs need to develop a common UDRP framework, with differences
being in details rather than basic UDRP policy.  At the least anything less
makes it more difficult for judges to be consistent.

In terms of fairness, differential policies for registration will lead to
changes in the treatment of existing registrants.  Existing registrants who
do not qualify according to the new policy will receive second-class
treatment.  In effect, they will be invited to go elsewhere -- the term
hostile work environment comes to mind -- and yet they have done nothing
inappropriate.  To the extent that we might try to have the rules provide
an exception for existing registrants, such exceptions in contracts -- just
like exceptions in a protocol specification -- have a tendency of creating
far more problems than they eliminate.

If we had some sort of crisis about non-commercial domain name
registration, then these problems might be worth imposing on .org.  However
we can easily start with one or more new TLDs and impose things from the
start, leaving .org to be consistent with its history of registrants.

BY contrast, restrictions of the registry and its registrars is much
narrower and oddly would mostly reflect a continuation of long-term policy
rather than a change.  (Yes, some registrars have been marketing .org as a
.com echo, but a) that is only in very recent years, and b) forcing them to
change their marketing does not affect end-users.)

>But, IMO, a key ingredient in that mix is that there be policy that
>explicitly favors non-commercial use, and that there be some teeth to
>it.

The reason I was (and am) liking the idea of .org restrictions on the
registry and its registrants, rather than on registrants, is that it is
highly narrow, and it does not directly hit the (existing) end-users.

The registry and its registrants are a much smaller group, and after all
they are not our constituency.  They are there as intermediaries, rather
than as a group needing "help" from us.

d/