[ncdnhc-discuss] ICANN committee recommends voting restrictions,fewer At-Large di rectors

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Fri Aug 31 10:00:38 CEST 2001

At 11:54 PM 8/30/2001, Adam Peake wrote:
>The 9/9 arrangement was the consensus that emerged after much careful
>discussion among many parties over the summer and autumn of 1998. ICANN
>was founded on that consensus and some related promises to the US Government.

And everything that has happened since then shows that we need to view the
at large component with considerable concern.  It has paid more attention
to grandstanding and hysteria, and even a degree of capture.

The original model was broken.  It needs to be fixed.  Using experience to
modify a broken arrangement is usually permitted.

Prudence dictates that no group, no matter how idealistically described,
should be given absolute authority over important resources, such as the
DNS and IP address assignment.

It needs to have a diverse range of participants, each with a small enough
portion of the total so that it is required to collaborate with other parts
of the group.

>I like the consensus model, I think it's a good thing to strive for and
>once achieved it should not just be dumped: the 9/9 arrangement should be
>tried and given the opportunity to work.

The problem with capture is that it cannot be reversed, since it then
controls the decision process.

>Why do you believe the At Large is a single constituency and is open to
>capture?

I'm just trying to apply the same logic that is used about other
constituencies.  Common selection mechanism and common labeling suggests an
important degree of coherence.

>Who would capture?

what do you not understand about the board having 50% of its members
selected in a homogenous manner, all with the same label of "at large"?

>How would they capture?

By existing.  A 50% voting block inherently has captured the decision process.

>and then how would the control the board?

by voting.

d/