[ncdnhc-discuss] draft resolution on Intellectual Property and Top-Level Domains

Jefsey Morfin jefsey at wanadoo.fr
Mon Aug 27 12:56:32 CEST 2001

Dear Danny and Derek,
Internet is the consensus of its participants to use the TCP/IP protocol
set under IP addresses interfaced by the DNS system.  So, Internet is by
definition what Derek names a "chaos". To limit this chaos its three
components - Protocols, IP and DNS TLDs - need the help of a registry.

Two usual possibilities to set-up and manage such registries:
- either an unique non-profit registry organized by and accountable to the
global Internet community
- or commercial ventures sharing that mission on a competitive basis for
lower rates and better technical services.

By a legal twist Joe Sims has managed a non-profit corporation owned by -
and therefore accountable to - no one. Let not be naive, as every
corporation by its own, ICANN strives for survival, stability and expansion
- but its (i.e) Staff, contractors (Jones Days) and partners (NSI) own ones
not the Internet ones.

This is why one can say there are three Internet versions today: the
e-legal version by Louis Touton and Joe Sims, the commercial one by
VeriSign/GIP and the real one by the participants.

Now, Internet is not a network. It is the interstice between participant
networks and systems. This is something Joe and Louis have not understood
when creating a single point of authoritative failure in a totally
distributed system.

This means that if ICANN and/or NSI over play their role they will create
more tensions than they ease. As no one needs them to use and develop the
Internet it is to bet that participants will favor innovation and their
self-interest. This is an autoregulation phenomena. People usually do not
like the solutions proposed by Derek.

So, if you really think they are of use, you have to find a good way to
enforce them: I doubt the ICANN is going to be good enough for a long.

Now, regarding Derek's concerns, they are based upon the assumption that
one could "own" things on the internet and that entreprises should be
limited because they may result into advantages for some. Do you own
customers? limiting business, by which authority? Thinking that ICANN could
regulate  does not work. ICANN has no other legitimacy than being a common
house keeper. Would you keep long in your family an house keeper who would
like to direct the life of your family?

Jefsey