[ncdnhc-discuss] draft resolution on Intellectual Property and Top-Level Domains

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Wed Aug 22 22:53:05 CEST 2001

The simple fact is that the top-level of the DNS is capacious enough
to accommodate every technically sounds request, whether it
is commercial or non-commercial.

>>> achander at ucdavis.edu 08/22/01 04:37PM >>>

Thanks to Chris for some thought-provoking resolutions.

I write to note my disagreement with the part of the resolution on IP and
TLDs that suggests that ICANN should approve all new technically-acceptable
TLD applications.  That proposal is, in my opinion, terribly misguided.  The
last thing that the non-commercial constituency should do is seek to help
corporations with their attempts to gain (for free) valuable charters to
domain name space.  If anything, we should support the efforts of
not-for-profit entities to gain new TLDs.