[NCUC E-team] SIGs

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 21:16:18 CET 2014

Hi

On Jan 16, 2014, at 6:57 PM, Brenden Kuerbis <bkuerbis at internetgovernance.org> wrote:

> Comment inline.
>
> On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 8:35 AM, Joly MacFie <joly at punkcast.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 5:59 AM, William Drake <wjdrake at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Of relevance for any interested ET folks:
>>>
>>> http://lists.ncuc.org/pipermail/ncuc-ec/2014-January/001050.html
>>>
>>> and related threads.
>>

>> from that msg
>>
>> The biggest loss in my mind in the transition from the ning was the deletion
>> of the social networking function that allowed members to create pages
>
> Maybe something like this <http://1net.org/supporters> would be
> adequate? It would take care of the "here's me" part. Importantly, it
> would be self-initiated, and never look dusty, as it has nothing more
> than a picture and link to their own content (which I assume people
> have more incentive to maintain).

Self-initiated is good, but someone presumably has to check that the people putting stuff up are actually NCUC members and not posting questionable stuff.   I agree that posting links to own materials elsewhere is better than having stuff be posted and forgotten on the site.

>> and
>> create/join groups.
>
> At this stage, I'd agree with Joly. I.e., create group specific
> mailing lists as requested

Like we do now for teams.  Not sure listservs inspire interaction and group identity the same way a social net does, so they may never take off.  And it requires someone like you guys administering, yes that’s obviously an option.

Thanks

Bill
> and archive them so members can access
> them.  Eventually, if there is demand, maybe we provide other
> communication tools and archiving.
>
> -- B
>
>> You’ll note for example the recent thread on
>> ncuc-discuss about Interest Groups, in which several African colleagues said
>> they’d like to join an IG on IG4D.  We have no means now to just create
>> groups for people who want to work together on issues, and no way for
>> members to say “here’s me.”  I don’t know if there’s anything that can be
>> done about that, but would like to hear from folks who are site enabled.
>> And if the answer is nothing, then alternatives to consider…
>>

>> Surely it would not to be hard to kick up a mailman list and a homepage on
>> the site. SIG admins could get "contributor" rights on the WordPress and
>> perhaps a category?
>>
>> Another way might be just to set up p2 wordpresses for the individual
>> groups.

>> --
>> Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
>> WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com
>> http://pinstand.com - http://punkcast.com
>> VP (Admin) - ISOC-NY - http://isoc-ny.org

William J. Drake