[NCUC E-team] Website (member pages)

Tapani Tarvainen ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info
Mon Jul 8 09:57:47 CEST 2013

On Jul 05 10:39, William Drake (william.drake at uzh.ch) wrote:

> On Jul 5, 2013, at 10:13 AM, Tapani Tarvainen <ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info> wrote:

> > I'm a bit skeptical of its value; you may have noticed
> > there's very little on the old member pages.
> > NCUC simply isn't big enough to form a social network
> > site by itself.
> > But some kind of member pages could be useful.

> i sort of disagree. I think the lack of usage had to do with a) the
> general disuse of the website---there really wasn't anything new
> there often., so it looked perfunctory, an after thought, and b) the
> lack of constituency level activity generally, as all policy
> discussion moved to ncsg-discuss etc.

I sort of agree. :-)

The question though is, can we change that - make the website
interesting enough to gather the critical mass to make it viable as a
social media?

> IF we reboot a PC or some other process for aggregating member views
> on stuff before they become positions that we taken take into NCSG
> for SG adoption and promulgation, then UC becomes a more vibrant
> space for connecting with people with shared interests, ideas etc.

Perhaps. Some way of developing policy positions that was easy
for members to participate in would certainly be a good thing.

> So rather than give up at the front end, I'd say let's see if we
> change the context this incents people to make more use of the
> thing. If we announce hey new website go hang out your shingle
> there, that in itself will encourage a lot of folks, and make being
> a member less anonymous.

I am a bit skeptical how well that'll work, but why not give
it a try.

> > They would be especially useful if they could be synchronized
> > with the member database, i.e., every member would automatically
> > have a page with their basic info which they could update
> > as needed and add things like photos or comments &c.
> > No way that'll happen in time for Durban, though.
>
> right but they could add their own, ja?

At the very least we need some template-type thing to get
them started. And some example pages from "old hands".
And we're running out of time. But let's see what we
can manage.