[NCUC E-team] discuss list

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Tue Feb 19 12:44:28 CET 2013

On Feb 19, 2013, at 12:16 PM, Tapani Tarvainen <ncuc at TAPANI.TARVAINEN.INFO> wrote:

> On Feb 19 09:49, William Drake (william.drake at uzh.ch) wrote:
>
>> I'd expressed a preference for discuss but then noted there were
>> others on the ET who seemed to favor members so unless people felt
>> strongly either way why not have the EC roll with that. But now
>> you've joined Ed in arguing for discuss and I believe Tapani was ok
>> with it, so it'd seem there's a uniform view among active EC members
>> and none opposed. So ok, please proceed.
>
> Will do... there. List is up.

Great

> Before it'll actually be useful though we'll need to subscribe
> people. I believe the idea was to subscribe all members

all NCUC members. So need to read the member list against that of NCSG-discuss and drop out people who are NPOC only.  Who I expect will be delighted, since they've complained strenuously in the past about receiving NCUC-related mail on the SG list.

Sorry, I suppose that's a task.  Maybe you could conspire with Ed to go through the names?

> rather than
> inviting them to join, and to recommend that they won't unsubscribe
> but rather suspend delivery if they don't want to read the stuff,
> so they could still send messages there (and follow the thread
> in archives) on occasion. I believe Ed now has a complete list
> of our members, I just asked him to send it over.

I believe this is the right thing to do viz NCUC members

> Another thing to do before announcing the list is to set up
> archiving. I understood the plan is to copy old archives over and
> keep on adding to them, in effect forking ncsg-discuss. Which
> makes sense given that it was originally ncuc-discuss before
> being renamed to ncsg-ncuc-discuss and then to ncsg-discuss.
> Reconstructing the archive thus won't take long, but to provide
> continuity it should be done just before subscribing everyone.

Not being sysadmin literate I don't know what forking means.  But certainly one would think the ideal outcome is that there's an integrated NCUC archive under our control and that a copy of at least that portion of the archive that is properly NCSG-discuss should remain intact where it is at Syracuse.

> If somebody feels like writing a welcome message for
> the subscription notices, please do it soon, otherwise I'll
> put in something very short and leave longer explanations
> to the list itself.

I can draft a brief welcome message and float it here in case ET folks think there's something I should have added.

Shall we assume with lag time for doing all the above we're shooting for a launch like Friday?  So we'd have three days to do your voodoo with the archives, the membership comparison and sign up, and welcome note..?

> An announcement on ncsg-discuss is also in order;
> if nobody wants to do a more thorough job, I'll
> write a short announcement there as soon as I've
> subscribed everybody (in particular alerting people
> who are or think they are ncuc members but didn't
> get subscribed for whatever reason).

I've already mentioned that this would be happening and had back and forth with Alain about it, so I might as well do the follow up when the trigger's pulled.

Thanks

Bill